Dairy and Miscellaneous | Foods of the Bible
Foods of the Bible
Have you ever wondered what types of foods were eaten by our ancestors or would you like to prepare a biblical meal or feast? Perhaps you’d just like to learn more about the different types of foods mentioned in the Bible. This “grocery list” includes spices, fruits, vegetables, grains, fish, fowl, meats and other foods and drinks of the Bible. Scripture references are provided for each of the Bible foods.
- ቅቤ – Butter (Proverbs 30:33)
- እርጎ – Cheese (2 Samuel 17:29; Job 10:10)
- Curds (Isaiah 7:15)
- ወተት – Milk (Exodus 33:3; Job 10:10; Judges 5:25)
- እንቁላል – Eggs (Job 6:6; Luke 11:12)
- ወይን ጭማቂ – Grape Juice (Numbers 6:3)
- ማር – Honey (Exodus 33:3; Deuteronomy 8:8; Judges 14:8-9)
- አንበጣ – Locust (Mark 1:6)
- ወይራ ዘይት – Olive Oil (Ezra 6:9; Deuteronomy 8:8)
- ሆምጣጤ – Vinegar (Ruth 2:14; John 19:29)
- የወይን ጠጅ – Wine (Ezra 6:9; John 2:1-10)
• For more about Bible foods including traditional Bible feast recipes, check out A Biblical Feast.