Sayings Not Found in Scripture | Spare the rod, spoil the child
Spare the rod, spoil the child
Despite popular opinion, the famous saying, “Spare the rod, spoil the child,” cannot be found anywhere in the Bible. The saying, however, should not be considered invalid as there are verses that promote a similar concept.
He who withholds his rod hates his son,
But he who loves him disciplines him diligently.
Foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child;
The rod of discipline will remove it far from him.
Do not hold back discipline from the child,
Although you strike him with the rod, he will not die.
You shall strike him with the rod
And rescue his soul from Sheol.
The rod and reproof give wisdom,
But a child who gets his own way brings shame to his mother.
- Moderation in all things.
- Once saved, always saved.
- Better to cast your seed…
- Spare the rod, spoil the child.
- To thine ownself be true.
- Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
- God helps those who help themselves.
- Money is the root of all evil.
- Cleanliness is next to godliness.
- This too shall pass.
- God works in mysterious ways.
- The eye is the window to the soul.
- The lion shall lay down with the lamb.
- Pride comes before the fall.